Poshan Abhiyaan (PM’s Overarching Scheme for Holistic Nourishment) was launched in 2018 with an aim of reducing malnutrition in the country. This is now being further strengthened in the form of Mission Poshan 2.0 to accelerate the achievement of malnutrition reduction targets.
Poshan 2.0 aims to transform the nutrition status of children aged 0 to 6 years, adolescent girls, pregnant women and lactating mothers across India. It will ensure that they consume sufficient calories, while also promoting dietary diversity for adequate consumption of micronutrients like iron, vitamin A, vitamin B12, etc. to promote good health.
It will have a strong focus on the first 1000 days of life since conception, which is the most crucial period in a child’s life for physical and mental development. It aims to ensure that children grow to their full physical and cognitive potential through healthy childcare practices and healthy, diverse, and locally available diets for children and their mothers.
The mission is built on the three pillars of:
• Good governance
• Convergence across ministries and local government bodies with an emphasis on community participation and ownership
• Capacity building of functionaries
The mission has been designed to achieve its goals by:
• Raising awareness about healthy diets and childcare practices
• Providing access to healthy and diverse diets through nutri-gardens and through food fortification
• Providing quality supplementary nutrition to pregnant women, lactating mothers and children from 6 months to 6 years through their local Anganwadis to meet gaps in nutrition requirements. This supplementary nutrition will be tested to meet quality and scientific norms
• Ensuring timely treatment of severely malnourished children
Malnutrition in the country can be fought with the collective participation of all citizens. With this intention, the Ministry of Women and Child Development in collaboration with MyGov invites citizens from all walks of life to design a “logo” with a “tagline” to mark the launch of Mission Poshan 2.0.
Winning entry will win cash prize of Rs.1 lakh (Rupees One lakh only). Last date of submission is 15th September 2021.