Worldwide 28 million children have been uprooted by conflict, driven from their homes by violence and terror. They need our help.
By Rakesh Raman
As the new U.S. President Donald Trump had signed an executive order last week to suspend resettlement of Syrian refugees indefinitely and all other refugee resettlement for 120 days, UNICEF has expressed its concern about the child refugees who will get affected by the order.
“The needs of refugees have never been greater. Worldwide 28 million children have been uprooted by conflict, driven from their homes by violence and terror. They need our help,” UNICEF said in a statement released Monday.
The Trump order also banned the entry of nationals from Iraq, Syria, Iran, Sudan, Libya, Somalia, and Yemen for 90 days. All seven countries are predominately Muslim countries.
UNICEF said it is committed to continuing its work with governments and other partners around the world to help some of the most vulnerable children everywhere, from Syria to Yemen to South Sudan.
Besides UNICEF, a number of other United Nations (UN) human rights and refugee welfare agencies have expressed their anguish over Trump’s arbitrary decision to ban the entry of people from certain Muslim countries.
“I stand with the people gathered across the country tonight defending our values and our Constitution. This is not who we are,” Clinton said in her tweet.
Meanwhile, a Federal District Court Judge Ann M. Donnelly issued a stay Saturday, blocking Trump’s discriminatory policy from taking effect and preventing refugees and immigrants from being deported.
Defending his executive order Trump said Sunday, “This order is not about religion – this is about terror and keeping our country safe.”
“The United States has a long and proud tradition of protecting children fleeing war and persecution. We trust that this support will continue and that the recent measures will prove to be temporary. All refugee children need our support,” UNICEF suggested.