Why and How to Make a Green School
Haircare brand Pureology presents the 2nd Global Green USA Green School Makeover Competition.
From January 1 to March 31, 2013, a parent, teacher, student or individual can nominate any K – 12 public, private or charter school they think deserves a Green School Makeover.
“Green schools improve student test scores, lower energy bills, and promote a more ecologically sound atmosphere,” said Matt Petersen, president and CEO of Global Green USA.
“Throughout 2013, Pureology will offer client product promotions in salons and donate a total of $250,000 to Global Green USA’s Green School Makeover Competition Presented by Pureology,” states Shae Kalyani, VP of Marketing for Pureology.
[ Also Read: Would You Prefer to Stay in a Green Hotel? ]
Green schools lead to:
- Improved student performance. When children learn in classrooms with natural daylight, improved sound quality and non-toxic building materials such as non-VOC carpets and paints, test scores can improve as much as 20%. Attendance also improves.
- More funds for student resources. When green upgrades are made to a school, water and energy costs can be reduced by as much as 40%. These savings can be channeled back into resources that directly benefit students, such as textbooks, computers and other essentials.
- Reduced carbon footprint. Greening a school significantly reduces carbon dioxide emissions that cause global warming.
A few ideas for your Green School Makeover:
- Creating a recycling program
- Conducting an energy audit to determine ways energy can be saved
- Installing solar shades to improve natural daylighting of classrooms
- Switching to green cleaning products
- Installing energy-efficient light bulbs
- Using sustainable building materials, such as bamboo flooring and recycled runner gym mats
- Replacing outdated or unsafe carpets and other materials with new, non-toxic ones
You can nominate a school for Global Green USA’s Green School Makeover Competition presented by Pureology. From January 1 to March 31, 2013, visit Pureology.com/GreenSchools to learn more and nominate a school.
[ Also Read: IBM Making Green Highway for Electric Vehicles ]
Global Green USA will review all applications and announce the winner in Q2 2013. The top ten finalists in the competition will also receive gift cards from Office Depot ranging from $1,000 – $5,000.
Global Green USA is the American affiliate of Green Cross International, founded by President Gorbachev, to foster a global value shift toward a sustainable and secure future.