To celebrate the forthcoming Independence Day as Independence Festival, India’s Ministry of Human Resource Development (HRD) under the leadership of Prime Minister Narendra Modi plans to arrange a series of events in educational institutions across the country.
According to a government communiqué, it is decided that the period from 9 – 23 August, 2016 will be celebrated as “Azadi 70 – Yaad Karo Kurbani” (Freedom Fortnight) to instil the spirit of freedom struggle and national movement among the younger generation.
The government says a list of suggested activities is being circulated among Secretaries of Education of all states / UTs, heads of CBSE, Kendriya Vidyalaya Sangatan (KVS), and Navodaya Vidyalaya Samiti.
The government has directed them to circulate the draft list of activities to all the schools under their purview, including private and aided schools asking them to carry out as many activities as possible.
It is to be ensured that the each primary / upper primary / elementary / secondary school takes up at least one activity and each higher secondary school takes up at least two activities.
Mass singing of the National Anthem at 11.00 AM on Tuesday, the 23rd August, 2016, is to be conducted across all the schools in the country.
The suggested list of activities include:
- Mass recitation of the National Anthem by all students in the state / UT, including private and unaided schools at 11.00 AM on 23rd August.
- School Children could paint greeting cards for Jawans posted at border stations.
- Mass tree plantation drive by the students may be organized to promote the idea of sustainable development.
- Talks can be organized in the schools by invited persons on the theme of freedom Movement. Special focus may be on martyrs from the state / UT or local areas.
- Painting, Elocution, Essay Writing, Slogan Writing, and Patriot Song Singing competitions may be organized.
- Plays with Freedom movement theme may be organized. Freedom Run may also be organized.
Participating schools can send regular reports to e-mail address: firstname.lastname@example.org or update the events and photographs on the website www.mhrd.gov.in and on facebook azadi 70.
Moreover, the government has asked the Department of Higher education to take necessary steps to celebrate the Freedom Fortnight in the institutes and autonomous bodies under its purview.
Photo courtesy: Ministry of HRD